Global warming affects each and every one of us and has a horrific impact on our planet and the life it sustains. Along with the rise in global temperatures and sea levels there has been a rise in malnutrition due to the effect on food crops and oceans and an increase in respiratory problems due to air pollution. According to the Climate Reality Project, our planet’s rising temperatures are also linked to a 2 percent increase in mental heath issues, not to mention the vast impact it’s having on global wildlife.
It’s not something that any one of us can ignore and it’s imperative that we do what we can to minimise our carbon footprint. Here are 10 simple ways to help save our beautiful planet.
1. To cut down on a vast amount of CO2 and greenhouse gases polluting our air we can decrease the amount of cars on the road. We can do this by carpooling to work, walking, cycling and taking public transport wherever possible.
2. Cut down on air travel. Where possible try to keep your vacations closer to home and avoid flying altogether. And if you absolutely do have to fly its better for the environment to fly economy class. Passengers flying economy are responsible for three times less emissions than those flying business class.
3. We can cut down on the amount of red meat we eat. Cows and sheep in particular are responsible for a massive amount of methane gas which is incredibly harmful to our environment. By lowering the amount of beef and lamb that we eat we are able to drastically reduce our carbon footprint. Studies have shown that eating less red meat actually reduces our carbon footprint more than cars.
4. We should break our addiction to consumerism and consume less overall. Every product we buy, whether it’s an item of clothing or a candy bar, is responsible for more carbon emissions than we realise. By practicing mindful consumerism our focus will be on buying less junk and more of what we actually need. We can also offset our carbon footprint by buying second-hand.
5. Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. By putting this simple mantra into action and embracing a minimalistic lifestyle we cut down on manufacturing pollution, the amount of waste that ends up in landfills and conserve vital natural resources.
6. Plant more plants and trees. Even young trees are able to absorb vast amounts of carbon dioxide. The more trees we plant the more we are able to offset our carbon footprint. Trees maintain and support our climate and biodiversity by improving overall air quality, conserving soil and water, and supporting all manner of wildlife.
7. Think green when it comes to your electronics. Our focus when it comes to our electronics and appliances needs to be on energy efficiency. You can do this by specifically choosing more energy efficient options, unplugging electronics and appliances when they are not in use , switching to LED lights and avoiding certain unnecessary items like tumble dryers when you can just as easily air dry your clothing.
8. Make sure that your home is as energy efficient as possible through proper insulation, using good quality curtains as temperature control, turning off lights when you don’t need them, avoiding heat/air conditioning where possible and switching to solar power.
9. Save water! By reducing the amount of water we use we have a direct impact on the amount of energy it takes to treat, heat and pump water. It is also vital that we divert less water away from our rivers, bays and estuaries in order to preserve the environment. Saving our finite supply of water and reducing our consumption of this precious resource is essential in sustaining life on our planet for generations to come.
10. Your vote matters! Vote for parties and candidates that have climate change reform as a top priority. It’s important that the people in power who represent us have the environment’s best interest at heart and we need to actively communicate our desire as a global population for less fossil fuel use and more sustainable practices overall.
Look after our planet and the creatures that inhabit it too. We share ways to maintain a garden and protect the environment through sustainable practices.
Mobimeme offers content marketing, SEO, analytics, social media management and expert direction in the digital sphere. Building and growing online audiences for your business is what we do best. Get in touch with us to find out more about our package offerings and how you can improve your website and following.