Concrete pavers are commonly used to make paths, pavements and outdoor floors. Sometimes weeds and small plants can grow in between these pavers or through cracks in the concrete. You may be able to remove these weeds easily, but they will keep growing unless you find a more permanent solution.
While weed killers and herbicides may be your first choice to remove the plants, these also do not offer a lifelong solution as they get washed away after heavy rains. The answer lies in using polymeric sand (fine sand that is combined with additives that form a binding agent when exposed to water) to fill the gaps and cracks in concrete pavers. Here are some tools and materials you will need to get the job done.
Items needed to prevent weeds from growing through concrete pavers
- Flathead screwdriver
- Polymeric sand
- Garden hose and spray nozzle
- Spray bottle
- White vinegar
- Dishwashing liquid
Steps to killing weeds and preventing regrowth
- First, you will need to kill the weeds and their roots. Mix some white vinegar with a teaspoon of dishwashing soap in the spray bottle. Spray the weeds during the heat of the day (around lunchtime) so that the weeds absorb the vinegar. This will kill them and their roots.
- Wait until the next day to remove the dead weeds. Make sure that you dig up their roots too, leaving no chance for regrowth. Use a flathead screwdriver to help you dig in the gaps between pavers.
- Using the cup, pour the polymeric sand into the gaps or cracks in the concrete pavers. Sweep any spilled sand into the joints with a broom. Don’t leave any polymeric sand on top of the concrete pavers as it can stain the concrete.
- Mist the polymeric sand in the gaps with a garden hose attached to a spray nozzle. Mist the sand and pavers three times, being careful to avoid making puddles of water. Don’t wait longer than three minutes between each misting session. Spray small sections at a time. Once you’ve finished misting the sand, leave it to cure for 24 hours.
Once the gaps between pavers have been filled with the polymeric sand, it should harden enough to prevent weeds and plants from growing through the gaps. This is a permanent solution to plant growth on paths, pavements and outdoor floors.
Look after our planet and the creatures that inhabit it too. We share ways to maintain a garden and protect the environment through sustainable practices.
Mobimeme offers content marketing, SEO, analytics, social media management and expert direction in the digital sphere. Building and growing online audiences for your business is what we do best. Get in touch with us to find out more about our package offerings and how you can improve your website and following.