Internet security is usually forgotten about. No matter if you’re just using the internet at home or for your business, your personal information can be hacked by people or bots with malicious intent. The best way to secure your internet is to use a firewall. These can either be hardware or software, but both forms will block cyber attacks and filter unwanted data from your internet connection.
Firewalls improve your internet browsing and security, which is especially important if you have children at home or if you need to keep confidential information secure. They also offer different variations of protection to suit the degree of privacy that you would like. Put simply, a firewall is a protection device that keeps hackers and malware out of your computer.
Why you should use a firewall
Most computers come with a built-in firewall. Inspect your computer’s security settings to check that the firewall software is turned on. This pre-installed firewall can be effective, but can also be easily outmaneuvered by cyber criminals and advanced malware, so consider using a more professional firewall that has been developed for these types of instances.
Firewalls can be intricate security devices that filter traffic in accordance with an advanced set of rules. They need to be updated regularly to keep the software current and to offer the latest protection. An up-to-date firewall will ensure that no spyware can access your camera or microphone and will prohibit external devices from gaining access to your personal details or passwords.
Types of firewall
There are many types of firewall, including those that are not simply hardware or software but fulfill extremely particular objectives. Hardware firewalls are physical units that can be mounted on your fiber optic line, similar to WiFi routers. On the other hand, internal applications that are installed on your computer or hosted on a cloud-based server, are known as software firewalls.
These can be further categorized into several types, depending on their structure and purpose. Some are perfect for large corporations, others are ideal for home use. Here are some examples of different types of firewalls:
- Packet-filtering firewall – Unknown IP addresses, port numbers and IP protocols are scanned and blocked by this application. It’s the most basic type of protection and it’s perfect for use at home. Because packet-filtering systems still enable web-based traffic to pass through, businesses should invest in more powerful firewalls. It can’t tell the difference between good and bad web traffic.
- Stateful multilayer inspection (SMLI) firewall – This is a common security system that monitors existing connections and filters traffic based on rules set by the administrator. Because it employs multilayer monitoring, it is a step up from packet-filtering security.
- Unified threat management (UTM) firewall – This is a system that uses combined programming to ensure that intrusion detection and antivirus capabilities are fully integrated in the SMLI firewalls. It is set up through a cloud-based platform which ensures secure management.
- Network address translation (NAT) firewall – A NAT firewall detects network traffic and communications in accordance with its source. Its entire purpose is to block all external traffic and only accept traffic coming from the user within their private network.
- Proxy service firewall – This is a system that filters out data to protect your device at the application layer. It serves as a middle layer between your computer and web servers. They are very secure and perfect for filtering incoming data.
- Next-generation firewall – This is a multi-layered, high tech firewall security system. The next-gen firewall investigates the source of data and the content, differentiating between friendly and malicious information. It is very good at blocking advanced security threats.
Now that you understand why you should use a firewall for internet browsing, you can choose the right one for your needs. Whether you only use the internet for streaming videos or for important business functions, make sure you set up a secure system. This will ensure that your browsing experience is improved and that your devices remain protected from a variety of cyber threats.
Expand your horizons by consuming knowledge and improving your skills. We share ways to grow your business, educate yourself and acquire the necessary skills to succeed.
Mobimeme offers content marketing, SEO, analytics, social media management and expert direction in the digital sphere. Building and growing online audiences for your business is what we do best. Get in touch with us to find out more about our package offerings and how you can improve your website and following.