There’s something so comforting and heart-warming about the chatter of birds outside. If you want to invite more feathered friends to your garden, you can install a nice bird bath, nectar feeder and seed wreath. These items will have an array of avian visitors flocking to your home.
It’s important that you hang the seed wreath and bird feeders high enough so that cats can’t grab the birds while they eat. A large seed wreath is fairly simple to make, it doesn’t cost too much and it can last for a while.
Making a seed wreath requires some common household kitchen equipment and a few key ingredients from the supermarket. Here’s what you need to make your own seed wreath this weekend.
Ingredients and utensils needed for the seed wreath
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Dry measuring cups
- Wooden spoon
- 20 cm bundt pan (or similar diameter)
- Two packets unflavoured gelatin
- One cup warm water
- Six tablespoons corn syrup
- One-and-a-half cups flour
- Eight cups birdseed
- Fresh or frozen cranberries/blueberries/gooseberries
- Cooking spray
- Ribbon or string
How to make the seed wreath
- Mix the two packets of gelatin with the cup of warm water.
- Add six tablespoons of corn syrup (light corn syrup will work too).
- Add one-and-a-half cups of flour and mix it all together until smooth.
- Slowly add the eight cups of bird seed while continuing to stir until all the seeds are coated.
- Coat the inside of the bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Add a few fresh or frozen berries to the base of the pan and spoon the birdseed mixture on top. Press down firmly once all the mixture is in the pan.
- Leave the wreath to dry for 24 hours.
- Remove the dry wreath from the pan and loop the ribbon or string through the hole to hang it up.
Hang your seed wreath from the branch of a tree, out of direct sunlight. You’ll have tiny seed-eating birds and a few fruit-eaters gathering at the new hangout in no time.
Original source: www.goodhousekeeping.com
Look after our planet and the creatures that inhabit it too. We share ways to maintain a garden and protect the environment through sustainable practices.
Mobimeme offers content marketing, SEO, analytics, social media management and expert direction in the digital sphere. Building and growing online audiences for your business is what we do best. Get in touch with us to find out more about our package offerings and how you can improve your website and following.